The learning environment that we are working in enables us to:
- plan collaboratively (build on ideas, share teacher expertise, empower others)
- share professional learning
- vary the range of pedagogies used to suit the learning
- better meet children’s needs
- build teacher capacity by mentoring and observing each other
It seems appropriate then that one of our learning values that we have identified is "Collaboration." Working in shared spaces requires good collaborative practices to be developed. After a chat with Chris Bradbeer I was reminded of the place of relationships in our teaching teams. I was also reminded that while my team has put my hand up for this innovative learning environment, they are still being forced into working within a collaborative environment. Previously, I have never thought of collaboration as anything other than good, empowering or supportive... Hansen reminds me that bad collaboration is as effective as no collaboration, if not worse.
Effective collaboration will grow our culture and our vision along with the other 4 learning values. It is time to walk the talk!